Facebook logo
Request Schedule an Appointment Forms Forms Like Us Like us on Facebook Reviews Read Our Reviews Call Give us a Call Map View our Map
Our Safety Commitment Our Dentists | Services | New Patient Forms | Pay Online

Dental Implant Failure & Salvage – Fayetteville, GA

Rescuing Implants, Saving Smiles


Overall, dental implants are overwhelmingly successful. About 95 percent of them are still going strong 10 years after placement, but what about the remaining 5 percent? What about those rarer situations where implants fail? At Sparkling Smiles Fayetteville, we can help in these circumstances too, potentially saving your implants and getting your smile back on track.

Why Choose Sparkling Smiles Fayetteville for Dental Implant Salvage?

Why Do Dental Implants Fail?

patient holding a model of a dental implant

There are basically two possible timelines for implant failure. In the short term, if you have an oral infection or insufficient jawbone density, the implant may not integrate properly. We largely avoid this scenario by conducting a thorough examination of your mouth to make sure it’s ready for an implant.

If your implants have been in place for some time and have fully integrated with the jawbone, they can still fail, mostly as a result of neglect or improper hygiene. Even though your implants will not decay, oral bacteria can still infect the gum tissue and jawbone. If you don’t brush and floss your teeth every day, a complication called peri-implantitis can develop, putting your restored smile at risk. Without intervention, your implants will ultimately fail.

Symptoms of Failed Dental Implants

man worried about his gums

Peri-implantitis can be subtle in its early stages, but it will manifest as red, swollen, and receding gums. The gum tissue may bleed easily when you brush. Eventually, if your implants feel loose, this is a clear sign of impending failure.

You don’t have to keep an eye out for the early signs of failure on your own. As long as you continue to come in for your regular checkups, we’ll look for an indication of trouble, which will allow us to stop a problem before it has a chance to endanger your implant.

How Dental Implant Salvage Works

older woman smiling in the dental chair

If we are able to catch and treat peri-implantitis soon enough, we may be able to control the infection. Treatment usually consists of deep cleaning and removing hardened calculus, applying antibiotics, and more. We will do our best to save your implants, but we need to do what’s right for your oral health first and foremost. In some cases, we manage to rescue the implant, but in others, the implant must come out until we get rid of the infection. At that point, we can think about trying again with new dental implants.

More to Explore

Family Dentistry Restorative Dentistry Dental Implants Sedation Dentistry Emergency Dentistry Gum Disease Treatment Sleep Apnea Therapy View Our Services